Wednesday, August 7, 2013

first day of school 2013

here my girls all ready on the first day of school.

this beauty tolerated me taking a pic out of the car window...
even tho it was in front of all the students.
such a cute 8th grader... say wha????

we had a little time to kill after dropping off S
so we went thru and got some back to school donuts.
they were pretty pumped.

another out the car window photo opp...

6th grade, 3rd grade and 1st grade
 it's all drive thru drop off this year.

yay! i don't have to get the car seat in & out... bonus.

 well i got all the kids back to school on time on their first day, despite paul being out of town all week,
and the fact that i really have not been out of bed in the last month before 10am.
don't get me wrong, there have been several wakings throughout the nights, late nights, and even a few all nighters... catching the few hours of sleep for the day between the hours of 7am to 9am...
but with it being summer and all... we have had some very lazy mornings.

anywho... i got the kids to school,

but i can't say that it went off without a hitch.

aside from waking up to an ant intrusion... they were ALL over the countertops. in the silverware drawers, all along the cabinets, swarming the countertops and anything on them. even inside my sugar bowl.....

after cleaning that mess up.....

i noticed in the morning, luckily D woke me up (my alarm didn't go off, i had set it for pm instead of am) (a preview of how the day was going to go) when getting the ice packs for the lunches out of the freezer, that they were defrosted. and that everything in the freezer was defrosted. as in all the meats, fruits... everything. including what was the ice in the dispenser.. water slushed out & all over the floor when i opened the door. i thought someone had left it open all night. but no, i realized shortly after that the fridge was slowly losing cool air as well.


i quickly grabbed the necessities (milk, cheeses & coffee creamer) and put them in the outside fridge. lucky for that!

ran out the door to get the kids to school on time.

hurried back home to deal with the freezer situation.

i was in a hurry & a call had already been put in to the warranty co. so i thought help would be on it's way soon.

not so much.

afterschool pick up came and went and we headed home.

to a now hot fridge & freezer.

it was starting to smell.

the baby was crying.

kids needed snacks.

the girls really stepped up.

we spent a few hours cleaning up the sludge that was melted in the freezer, took dripping bags out to the garbage dumpsters...

and the girls took turns holding the baby because my hands were covered in muck
& ant killer... still cleaning from the mornings' invasion.

the girls were such help that we celebrated and went out to dutch bros.
they were giving away free drinks from 6-7pm.

we went to the park & enjoyed

went home, got cleaned up & went to bed.

L came in with a tummy ache... maybe not such a great idea to give her her first coffee drink (it was decaf) right before bed. :(

the next day

we made it thru the morning rush again,

still no one showed up to fix the fridge.

i was waiting but had to leave.

i had to run the baby to his 1mo. check up.

after i pulled out of the garage,

i noticed that the garage door pretty much slammed down as hard as it could when i closed it.

i was running late... i couldn't deal with that at that time.

went to the doc., everything is great with the baby.

praise the lord.

while approaching the car with my hands full of a heavy car seat, diaper bag & holding a little 3 yr. olds hand, i decide to push the autostart on the car to try to relieve some of the lovely az heat from the car...

doesn't work.

hmmm.... the engine light is on.


i can't deal with that now... gotta get the kids home for a nap & wait for the repair man to show up.

got home, manually lifted the garage door and checked it out a little.

yep something is def. wrong. the bars are loosely wiggling.

something must have popped errrrr something of that nature.

ahh... another call to the home warranty.

still no appearance from the fridge repairman.

P texts me and says he (the repairman) is not coming. P is very mad.


i need to get the fridge, the car and the garage door fixed and get an exterminator out here 



to put things in perspective,

my pediatrician had just returned from a mission trip

to africa.

2000 very sick children and 

2 docs.

she said she saw diseases she had personally never seen before.

very sad & eye opening.

malaria, polio, typhoid fever...

as i came home to my air conditioned (for now) house and tucked my healthy children

in their beds....

getting food from my outside garage refrigerator

didn't seem like such of an inconvenience anymore.


Peace and Love said...

My gorgeous grandchildren and a nice reframe on a very challenging day.

susiek said...

Such a pain to have to deal with all that all at once, and on the first day of school! Great pics!

rotner ramblings said...

First, loved your choice of necessities to pull from the failing refrigerator.

Holy Smokes, you REALLY need a beer.

"...this too shall pass..."

Anonymous said...

the girls all look beautiful and loved their school clothes..these years go by so fast.....what a day you must have had. sonetimes, life is hard ............hjw

Anonymous said...

puts things into perspective. first world problems.

at least the nanny showed up.

... said...

I'm so glad you got the coffee creamer. That's what I would grab, along with my icons, if my house were to catch fire. My favorite part, though, was the fact that you were able to put this disastrous day in perspective. How beautiful. <3